Friday, August 14, 2009

Vacation City Gameplay Details

I feel like I need to write out how Vacation City will operate. What I'm looking for is a unique system that matches the game's unique story and setting. I feel like the RPG genre would be the best for presenting this story, but I don't want a cookie-cutter turn-based RPG, 'cause those are boring to play and watch. I want something that's fun to play, fun to watch, and makes people *want* to play and *want* to watch the game.

So, I want a non-standard RPG system. What I've decided on so far is:

-Food! What's more modern than a wide selection of food items? Each food item restores a bit of your REGEN bar, similar to the Tales series where food restores lost HP after a battle.
-Cooking! You can buy food items from the store and cook them into delicious meals to eat.
-Flavor! Each food item has a different flavor: Sweet, Sour, Spicy, Savory, Salty, and Bitter. Each flavor also has a magnitude from 0 to 5, 0 being absent and 5 being whoa!
-Tastes! Each character has his or her own personal tastes, which affects how much of the REGEN bar is restored by a particular flavor.
-Psychic Powers! Each character has his or her own personal psychic powers that are unique to him or her - no two characters have the same powers. Moreover, each character's set of powers are based on a particular "theme", such as nature, emotions, literary genres, and video game powers.
-Customizable Characters! At least, customizable in terms of abilities. At level-up, you can choose between increasing the character's Physical attributes or his or her Psychic attributes, which allows him or her to learn new techniques and grow stronger.
-Accessories! Buy accessories at clothing stores to boost your stats. No mucking about with "armor" and "weapons" - such things have no place in modern society, after all.
-Dungeons! Each dungeon has a particular theme - an exaggerated world built of the essence of the world around it. The Virtual Dungeon in the Arcade has glowing neon walls, low-res monsters, and color-coded doors and keys, just like an old video game.

To be continued, as always.

No comments: