Alright, so it's not the future of gaming. In fact, it's down right archaic. It is basically a "choose-your-own-adventure" type program that uses a computer to kept track of the player's progress. It uses text to portray the game world, and simple buttons to direct the player's actions. The reason I call it the future of gaming is because the version I'm developing works via browser using a mix of HTML5, CSS3, JavaScript, and XML. The future of computing seems to be regressing towards the old "main-frame/dumb-terminal" mindset; where the computer is nothing more than a way to access the Internet, where all our personal files and programs rest in the "cloud".
Anyways, the program uses HTML5 to create the basic template and glue everything together. CSS3 is used to make everything look pretty (which includes centering the program and animating the buttons). JavaScript is used to actually run the meat of the program - it's used to read in the XML file and fill in the HTML5 template, and in the XML file too. The XML file actually defines the game proper; it defines the individual pages, including the textual output and the buttonal input as well as altering variables and making logical decisions.
I'm going to post bits of code here as I work on it, but for now the beach calls for me! Later.
EDIT: This was written a few days ago while in Virginia Beach on my iPod Touch, and due to constraints I chose to wait and post it later... mostly because I put it on the wrong blog. Whoops. Anyways, I've rolled up the HTML, CSS, and JS files into one "engine/user-interface", and learned that XML was bad for what I was wanting to do. So, I moved the "game content" to a separate JavaScript file, and except for the saving/loading to/from localStorage everything's peaches!
Saturday, July 2, 2011
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment