Sunday, June 5, 2011

Time to make use of this thing we call the Internet

No updates in almost 6 months?!? Man, if I had readers, I imagine they'd be pissed. A lot has happened in these past 6 months... but that's not a good excuse! It's time I started keeping up with this blog and recording my ideas on a regular basis.

Droid. iPhone. Blackberry. Pretty much any "smartphone" nowadays seem to be the wave of the future. I remember sci-fi from my youth talking about installing computers into people's heads... and these phones seem to be the intermediate step between the clunky desktop and laptop computers of yesterday and tomorrow's literal headsets. They've got so much potential!

If you know me (and chances are you probably don't), you would know that I love open systems. Linux is a wonderful piece of software that really opens up the computer for it's users, instead of holding it back. Open-source software is not only "open" in the sense that anyone can open it up, see how it works, make changes, and share those changes with the world, but it is also free! And free software means it's more readily adopted by the populous.

The Android platform then is my preferred smartphone platform obviously. Especially because it allows the owner to run unsigned code - this means that yes, it could be used for nefarious purposes such as piracy, but it also means that the system can run your own self-written code! That means I don't have to acquire a license or go through red tape to get an application onto the system! Which makes it more accessible. Of course, if I want to sell my code, then I've still got to go through an approval thing and yadda yadda.

Anyways, I've rambled on long enough. It's time to actually work on something worthwhile... like another post that's actually about something!

No comments: