I am a big fan of Roguelikes. My favorite RL has got to be Dungeon Crawl - Stone Soup, although Castle of the Winds was my first. Crawl offers what most games fear to offer players: Limitless adventure. Like most RLs, Crawl features a random dungeon generator, which builds and populates dungeon levels as you visit them. A simple character creator offers thousands of different combinations, and because character growth is dependant on what actions you perform while playing (which is dependant on what you have in your inventory), the game prevents you from ever playing the same twice.
I've been playing for over a year now (I started around Thanksgiving of '07). The furthest I've ever been would be the Den (or whatever it's called, the one with all the rats and snakes). Crawl is not easy - the name suits the game's progression well. Normally, this would be a bad thing, but the nature of the game places the pacing solely on the player, so I can only blame myself.
Apparently, several of my classmates have become fans of this game behind my back. Strange how that tends to happen with games I enjoy...
Thursday, December 4, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment