Wednesday, December 3, 2008

Dreams make good games

Last night, I had a dream that I died when I saw the desecrated corpse of a priest crucified against a wall in the basement of a monastery. My body became a hungry ghost, and I sought out the others within the monastery to consume and assimilate with. Each person I ate became part of me, and I became stronger and more cognizant. But with each person consumed their consciousness joined mine, and they would try to move our body in different directions. The dream creeped me out, and I awoke before too long.

I think this would make for an interesting game idea. You play as a sticky blob that tries to assimilate with other players - think tag, but IT eats the runners, and in turn the runners become part of IT, and can exert some control over IT. The game averages the directional vectors from each person absorbed by IT and moves IT in that direction. Each additional person absorbed increases IT's maximum speed by a certain amount. In essence, IT becomes faster as it eats, but IT becomes harder to control. IT wins if IT eats all other players. The players win if they evade capture for a certain amount of time. My Game Studio class had us create a game like this - I should consider presenting this instead of my Team Fortress II knock-off.

So, I was thinking... Maybe no one starts as IT. Each player starts equidistant from the center of a circle. A ball sits in the middle. A whistle blows and each player rushes towards the ball. The first person to grab it becomes IT. Tapping the 'b' button allows you to run faster, so the game isn't too unfair. Once IT has benn declared, the level drops from above and the gane becomes tag. Now I just need to add a hiding element and I'll be set!

No comments: